Saturday, October 10, 2009

Barber Shop Quartet Cake

Well, I haven't blogged for a while. Make that a long while! Do you ever go through the cake doldrums? Maybe you don't have any cake orders for weeks (or months) or the summer was too hot to bake. I was there - in the cake doldrums - but with the weather cooling off, holidays and bake sales approaching, and birthdays abounding, my cake baking is picking back up!


I made this super cute cake for my father-in-law for his birthday. I got the idea from an old Wilton book and modified it a little. To make the heads, I inverted cupcakes and carved them a little to get the right shape. I covered them with fondant and decorated them with buttercream. The rest of the cake is iced with Bettercreme and details are done with buttercream. I loved how the little men's faces turned out!






The red head is my favorite. He sings bass.






Here's the tenor. I love his little curl that hangs down.
They were all pretty cute and I could almost hear them singing! I haven't named them....yet! So if you are short on ideas or going through the cake doldrums, check out some old books for inspiration. With some creative revisions, you could have a brand new cake idea!